Property Lines

Planning your yard, Fencing—Property Corners and Lines

Property owners who are planning their landscaping are well-served to consider the fence line location compared to the respective property corners and lines. Whether working with a landscaper or Do-it-yourself (DIY), where these lines are located is very important to ensure one property owner is not encroaching on another’s property lines.

The best way to determine property lines is to contract with a surveyor and have the corners of the property marked with accurate property locator pins.

Sometimes neighbors who are sharing a fence line can agree to share in the cost of the survey since both parties are mutually benefited in avoiding any property line disputes that will require future resolution.

Obtaining a plat map from your local County Recorder’s office is also an effective method to ensure there are valid starting points to begin marking property corners and stringing lines for the fence line. Many counties have their public information online and can be accessed from your home or office computer and printed out without having to go in to their offices.

If you have Title Company paperwork from a previous transaction will include a plat map and legal description.

It is always beneficial to speak with and agree with all adjacent neighbors, even if their property is not improved or they do not live locally, on where the fence line is going to be placed.

It is important to note that Blue Stakes does not mark for property corners or property lines.

For assistance in locating property pins and lot measurements, visit your County Assessor and Recorder public website, or contact them directly:

Utah County Assessor
100 E Center Street, Rm 1100
Provo, UT 84606
(801) 851-8295

Salt Lake County Assessor
2001 S State Street, N2300
Salt Lake City, UT 84190
(801) 468-3050

Summit County Assessor
60 North Main
Coalville, UT 84017
(435) 336-3257

Wasatch County Assessor
25 North Main
Heber City, Utah 84032
(435) 657-3221

Other Counties:
It is best to call or visit the assessor’s office for assistance

Blue Stakes and Utilities

Before a fence crew comes out to begin digging post holes and begin installing a fence, by law Blue Stakes must be contacted to mark any existing utility lines. Blue Stakes is an organization that is contracted to mark any and all public utilities on a property, inclusive of water, power, cable TV, telephone, Internet and fiber-optics and natural gas lines. Blue Stakes uses flags and different colored spray paint throughout the property to mark the location of these utility lines if they exist. Once the order for blue staking a property is placed it takes 48 hours before a crew can legally dig on the site. This allows the Blue Stakes crew time to get out and mark any lines on the property. Blue Stakes can be contacted at 1-800-662-4111 and ordered online at

Blue stakes will not be able to mark any sprinkler systems or rogue electrical lines that a homeowner may have installed to take power out to a shed or yard lights etc.

By law the fence crew cannot dig within 24 inches of any marked line. If blue stakes markings are in conflict with a property line or where a customer wants a fence line placed there are a few options to consider:

  • The property owner can decide to move the location of the fence line so as to avoid the utility that is in the way.
  • The property owner can elect to call the respective utility company and negotiate to have the utility line relocated off the property line or away from the chosen location for the fence line. Many utility companies will do this but they will charge the customer for that service.
  • We have a form in our paperwork where our crews will very carefully dig the post holes near the blue stake markings, but the customer will indemnify our crew/company and take full responsibility in writing in the event we hit and break any utility line that was marked.

Salt Lake City Permits

If you are interested in installing a new fence, be aware of your city and county fence requirements. For Salt Lake City, any fencing projects require a permit to be attained before the installation begins. This includes both new fences and replacing old fences. Below are the items the city requires.

  1. Permit application. This application can be found at the city offices.
  2. Identifying plans. These include a plot map of the property, identifying the location and height of the proposed fence.
  3. Permit fee. There is a small permit fee. Contact your city for exact costs.

For every home improvement project, including fences, all utilities need to be marked by calling Blue Stakes. This is for safety and liability issues. Once Blue Stakes has been called, the city is alerted to a new fencing project going in to your property. If you have not gotten a permit for the new fence project, and you have proceeded with the fencing, the city will likely give a hefty fine.

All the information you will need on fencing requirements in Salt Lake City can be found at the following link: .

Estimator Steve – Utah City Fence Ordinances

There are some general rules that will apply across the board to most cities municipals in Utah, when it comes to installing a fence project.

Utah, Salt Lake County Fence Installers

What most cites won’t allow or require:

  • You cannot have a six foot tall fence past the front of your home. A front yard fence can vary in height from 4’ to 3’ tall – depending on the cities ordinance.
  • You cannot have a fence taller than six feet tall without a permit – which usually entails a permit, and the permission of the abutting neighbors.
  • All corner lots and abutting drive ways have visibility ordinances that require the fence to be a certain height and some cites require that the fence be semi open – such as a picket fence or Fortress® ornamental fence. City ordinances vary on how close a fence can be next to an intersection – if your lot is on a corner it is important to know what that distance is – we have all local city ordinances posted on our website.
  • Some cites require a permit – and the installation process may be delayed if a permit is not obtained before the project is started.

These are a few basic ordinances and may or may not pertain to your location. It is always a good idea to review your local city ordinances – on their website before a project is started. CFC Fences and Decks has many of them posted on their website If you’re looking for specific information on cities in Utah, we recommend contacting their ordinance department for the most up to date information.